cook: 20mins, allow 1h resting time for dough & setting time for caramel
- to make the chocolate pastry
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 125g butter, chilled and cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-2 tsp chilled water
- to make the caramel
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup Bulla Dollop Cream
- 50g butter, diced
- pinch of salt
- to make the chocolate glaze
- 125mL Bulla Thickened Cream
- 80g dark chocolate 70% cocoa, chopped
- salt flakes, to serve
Chocolate Caramel Tarts
- Place flour, icing sugar and cocoa in a food processor, add butter and pulse until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg yolks, followed by enough water to bring dough together. Remove from bowl, wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Remove pastry from fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick. Using a 10cm cutter, cut rounds and press into greased 6x8cm diameter tart pans with removable base. Blind bake for 6-8 minutes. Allow to cool.
- For the caramel, place sugar and water in a large saucepan. Stir until sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil without stirring until mixture is starting to turn a golden colour. Remove from heat and stir in Bulla Dollop Thick Cream, butter and salt until smooth. Pour mixture between prepared tart shells and refrigerate until set.
- For the chocolate glaze, heat Bulla Thickened Cream in a saucepan until boiling. Pour over chopped chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly before pouring over the caramel layer in the tarts. Sprinkle with salt flakes prior to serving.
- Tip: Tart shells can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container.